Festival Sarongge is an annual event by Sarongge community to celebrate all things Sundanese! Not only does it promote Sundanese culture, but also ecotourism and the role of this unique community in preserving their local environment. Come and join us for a fun filled weekend in nature!
Festival Sarongge 2018 is coming!
- NGALOKAT CAI
Witness a ritual that has been passed down through generations by the elderly as a way to protect water springs (that provides villagers with clean and fresh water) from destructive or immoral behavior. The long story and origin of Sarongge village will be told during the ceremony in Sundanese language accompanied by locals talents who perform a rich Sundanese theatrical performance arts and dance.
- SARONGGE COFFEE – CUPPING SESSION
It’s a taste from a caring forest : soft and smooth acid, enriched with a fresh fruit with that little sweet aftertaste at the end. Sarongge coffee trees is planted by local farmers at Gede and Geulis mountain slope with the height of 1,000-1,500 metres above sea level. Planting coffee has become an integral part of the effort for saving and caring of the forest while at the same time it also generates additional income for local farmers. Taste the 7 Sarogge coffee variants that are irresistible (including a rare wild civet/luwak coffee) with a special presentation by Negri Kopi.
- EXPLORE the MOUNT GEDE PANGRANGO NATIONAL PARK FOREST
Trek into the deep tropical jungle to learn endemic and rare plant species. It’s a good chance to supply your lungs with super pure oxygen, bird watching and taste plants or fruits not available in the nearest market. You will also encounter the GIANT “KI HUJAN” TREE and listen to its story by local guide interpreter. Don’t miss the opportunity to give “KI HUJAN” a big hug, it’s good for your health.
- CAMPING and STAYING OVERNIGHT IN SARONGGE FOREST
Fully experience all that this peaceful and beautiful forest has to offer for your outdoor adventures and sensation, from bonfire, watching stars, sharing stories and witness the adorable sunrise.
- ADOPT and PLANT TREES to HELP REVIVE the FOREST
Give back to the environment by adopting and planting trees. Your trees will be cared for and nurtured by local farmers
- CONSERVATION STORY & DISCUSSION
Green Initiative Foundation has contributed to the protection of Indonesia’s forests so far by supporting 155 farmers in Sarongge, West Java, to leave the land they farmed inside Gunung Gede Pangrango National Park and find alternative livelihoods. They have reforested those 38 hectares of that National Park and involved over 200 local people directly in the programs. A holistic, sustainable approach is taken to support economic, environmental and social programs that include: reforestation, women’s empowerment, alternative livelihoods, waste management, and sustainable tourism. Hear and learn more about their programs directly from Tosca Santoso (founder) and Ferry (director).
- ETHNIC-COUSTIC JAM SESSION
Enjoy music for the deep soul. A collaboration between Sundanese-ethnic traditional musician with an accoustic band to warm the camping ground and entertain the trees.
- HANG OUT AT SAUNG SARONGGE, a VILLAGE COMMUNITY CENTER
Built in a traditional ‘Julang Ngapak’ architectural style, from over 17 varieties of wood, all of which can be found in the Sarongge jungle, Saung Sarongge is a beautiful tourism and community centre. Its a place to begin your journey with, where you’ll enjoy your meals and meet with local community.
- LOCAL PRODUCTS & SOUVENIRS
Bring home a basket of organic vegetables and handmade citronella soap produce by local young farmers and mothers communities.
Saturday-Sunday, 29-30 September 2018 (2 days 1 night)
Sarongge village, Pacet, Cianjur, West Java
Pack #1. IDR 650,000/person include transportation
Pack #2. IDR 480,000/person without transportation/bring your own
Pack #1. Limited to 30 persons only
- What is included
Pack #1. Transportation (Jakarta-Sarongge-Jakarta), local transport, accommodation (tent at camping ground), toilet is available, food, drink & snack, all activities and tools, local guide and host, entrance fee for gede Pangrango National Park Forest, fees for community/koperasi, souvenir/gift.
Pack #2. All of above minus transportation.
- How to Book
Please contact us to get detail information and arrangement. Send your name + email address + phone number to 0812-5575-3238 (EMY) or 0811-2552-166 (FERRY) or ferryhs@
greeninitiativefoundation.org. Book your seat now, seat is limited
- 04:00 = Meet at Jakarta pickup point (Pertamina petrol station Gatot Subroto, across Menara Jamsostek). Location details will be provided via email/whatsapp.
- 04:00 – 07:30 = Bus on the way from Jakarta to Cipanas-Ciputri via Jagorawi toll road and puncak. Stop 20 mins at Mosque for pray (moslem).
- 07:30 = Arrive at Saung Sarongge (the big community house)
- 07:30 – 08:30 = Breakfast
- 08:30 – 09:00 = Program briefing & introduction
- 09:00 – 11:00 = Follow NGALOKAT CAI ritual
- 11:00 – 12:00 = Plant and adopt trees
- 12:00 – 12:30 = Transport to and check in Camping Ground
- 12:30 – 14:00 = Lunch, break
- 14:00 – 16:00 = Sarongge Coffee cupping & presentation
- 15:00 – 17:00 = Music performance, a collaboration of ethnic music and accoustic band
- 17:00 – 18:00 = Break, take shower
- 18:00 – 19:00 = Dinner, bonfire
- 19:00 – 21:00 = Share stories and discussion session with Green Initiative Foundation : forest, farm, farmer, and the challenge of conservation program
- 21:00 = Sleep
- 05:00 – 06:00 = Wake up, enjoy chilling sunrise moment
- 06:00 – 07:00 = Take breakfast
- 07:00 – 07:30 = Briefing, trekking preparation & re-check
- 07:30 – 11:00 = Trekking the forest and interpretation (slow to moderate walking)
- 11:00 – 12:00 = Packing, check out Camping Ground, transport to Saung Sarongge
- 12:00 – 13:00 = Lunch “Ngaliwet”
- 13:00 – 14:00 = Souvenir and take photo
- 14:00 – 18:00 = On the way back to Jakarta. Travel time will vary between 3-5 hours depend on weekend traffic condition
- Good non-slippery hiking/trekking full shoes. Wear comfortable socks. The trail can be slippery, especially if it’s rained before.
- Small bag/pack to bring your own equipment during 8-9 hours trekking.
- Lunch box. We’ll have our day-2 lunch in forest area. You need lunch box to bring them.
- Water bottle.
- Personal care+medicine
- Long trousers, long sleeve shirts.
- Prepare light rain jacket or poncho.
- Hat. Sun glasses. Sun block lotion.
- Wet tissue (for woman)
- Note : do not use perfume during trekking
- Cash. Enough amount to buy local handycraft products or additional snacks from warung/kiosk. Handycraft products are priced between IDR 5,000 to 50,000.
- Warm clothes for sleeping or sleeping bag.
- Towel and personal toiletries.